13 January 2011

The Philosophy of Food, Issue #009: Eggless Pancakes

If you had told me 10 years ago that one day I would voluntarily eat chicken and beans for dinner and be glad of it, I'd have called you a liar and asked if you wanted to see my Pokemon cards.  Now. . . well, lets just say that half a chopped chicken breast, steamed rice, salsa, and chili beans fried up together in a pan greased with extra virgin olive oil is palatable (and pretty much all I have in my fridge right now).  That's right folks, I am in sore need of a grocery run.

Anyhow, an industrious cook can make culinary gold out of anything, right?

Fast forward to this afternoon.  I'm hungry.  I need lunch.  I'm rationing my chicken for dinners, however, which severely narrows down my options.  "I have flour in my cuboard," I say to myself, "I can make pancakes with flour!"  But, I used my last egg for breakfast this morning, and you need an egg to make pancakes from scratch, right?  Apparently not!

That's it.  We're calling the union!
The Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted

The Process
Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.  Pour on the milk and melted butter and mix it until smooth.  I recommend using a whisk.

Lightly grease up a griddle or frying pan over a medium heat.  Scoop the batter onto the griddle using around 1/4 cup per pancake.  Brown on both sides.

Enjoy

The Results
Above: delicious scabs.

Delicious!  Very thin and light, but not quite crepes.  Probably a little better for you too, but I'm no dietitian.  I'd have eaten them with peanut butter, but it is one of the many things I am out of.

Grocery run Saturday, after which I will make something new for you folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment