09 November 2010

Sweet Nostalgia, Issue #001: Into the Frying Pan (Kraut and Wurst)

First off, a bit of housekeeping.  As you've no doubt caught on, anything titled "The Philosophy of Food" will be a new recipe.  I've decided to use a different title for articles that revisit old recipes: "Sweet Nostalgia."

"Fry that shit up!"  Authentic American wisdom.
The first entry in Sweet Nostalgia comes back to the Apple Sauerkraut and Bratwurst recipe I shared a few days ago.  Four bratwursts is a lot for a guy toe at in one meal, so I had leftovers.  Today I decided to do away with said leftovers.  I'm not a barbarian who eats cold sausage straight out of the fridge, so I tossed the leftover wurst and kraut in a frying pan with some extra virgin olive oil (one spray over with my trusty olive oil mister) and sizzled it up.  To reproduce my process as closely as possible, cover the frying pan until the juices start to really get sizzling, then continue cooking the kraut and wurst until the wurst is slightly browned on each side.  I served it up on a small plate with a glop of spicy brown mustard for the wurst.

It still needs a starch.  Maybe I'll try making some homemade German noodles next time?
Something about frying this dish up really adds to it.  Or maybe the effect was produced by letting it sit in the fridge for a few days.  The sweetness of the apple cider and kraut was toned down a lot, and I feel like some of the greasy smokiness of the bacon crumble came out.  Next time I make this dish I'll certainly transfer it straight from saucepan to frying pan to see whether it was the method or the age that enhanced the dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment