04 September 2012

The Philosophy of Food, Issue #025: Baked Eggs 01

You know those moments when you discover a completely new genre of music that broadcasts on the same frequency as your soul, in stunning HD, filling you with an inexplicable and uncontrollable desire to dance, sing, or pick up an instrument?  Well, I just had that experience, but with breakfast food.

The name of the genre is baked eggs, and you have got to taste these beats.  Or not beats.  No, you definitely don't beat these eggs. . . but you get the point, right?

The basic formula follows.

1.  Butter a ramekin.
2.  Add 1 to 3 layers of meat and veggies.
3.  Crack an egg into that sucker.
4.  Sprinkle lightly with grated cheese and ground black pepper.
5.  Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes.
6.  Experience the Rapture.  In your mouth.

Seriously.  This formula is pretty much the Kama Sutra for your taste buds.

Okay, so here's the specific dish I made.

The Ingredients (and Supplies)
-1 ramekin per egg
-Butter or butter substitute
-1 slice of bacon per egg, crumbled
-1 smallish tomato per egg, sliced
-Grated sharp cheddar cheese
-Ground black pepper
-Eggs

The Process
In your buttered ramekin(s), layer in the sliced tomato and crumbled bacon.  Crack in the egg and dust lightly with the grated cheddar cheese and ground black pepper.

Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes.  Remove and enjoy.

It's important that you cook your bacon before loading it into the ramekin.

Well butter my ramekin and call me a toaster.  Actually, don't call me a toaster.  That's racist.


Juicy tomato!


Bacon is magic.

And just load these puppies into the oven. . .

The Results
I think I've already expressed my utter and complete glee at discovering this particular genre of egg dish. . . but it bears restating.  Baked eggs are frakking fantastic!  This dish has changed my entire perspective on breakfast.  Life altering.


The egg in this one wouldn't sit in the middle. . .

So I was sure the next one had a little bit of an indent.

BEHOLD!  BREAKFAST!
All of the praise aside, there are a couple things I'd do differently.  In the oven at my folk's house, 15 minutes was a little on the early side.  I think they could have used another 5 minutes or so, just so the whites don't stay so runny.  I might also substitute the black pepper for a very conservative amount of creole seasoning.

All that said, there are more variations to try.  You could make this with a layer of shrimp rather than bacon.  Or toss in some shredded lettuce to make it a BLT baked egg.  The combinations are limitless, and doubtless you will see more in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment