18 August 2010

The Statement of Purpose

What is "That Than Which Nothing Greater Can Be Conceived," you ask? In St. Anselm of Canterbury's Proslogion it is the concept of God that he argues from to prove the Almighty's existence. I'm not Catholic, however, so to me it might be the Sazerac: my favorite cocktail and a treasured relic of New Orleans where I earned my BA in History, with a minor in Medieval Studies. Ah, you think, now it all comes together. It might also be an aesthetic ideal. A merging of the practical with the pleasing in such a way as to create a preferable state of being. I say “preferable” rather than “perfect” because one of the definitions of “perfect” is complete. To seek completion is to seek an ending; a point where no other feature, refinement, or experience can be added. Not only is perfection then boring but it is also, in more than one sense, death. While a good ending is, in itself, a thing of beauty, I can conceive of a few things which are greater.





Of course, the real answer to your question is that “That Than Which Nothing Greater Can Be Conceived” is my blog. My little way of developing my personal philosophy and sharing it with the world. One day I might wax philosophical – or romantic – on some little idea that's got itself stuck in my head. Another I might share a recipe or some cooking experiment. Perhaps I'll share my thoughts on fashion, or home brewing, or a bit of the fiction I write from time to time. Whatever the case may be, you can be sure that in some way it will involve that pursuit of the preferable state of being and, perhaps, Sazerac.





Projects to look forward to (in no particular order):


-My personal recipe for krupnik, a vegetable-barley stew.


-Adventures in brewing mead, one of the oldest forms of alcoholic beverage.


-Some short-short fiction along with philosophical musings on beauty (with guest star Immanuel Kant).


-An illustrated guide to my personal philosophy on clothing, which may or may not be humorous.

And now for a little spoiler of my first project (and next post):

No comments:

Post a Comment